Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What is stem cell transplant?

A lot of people are wondering what stem cell transplant is?

There are 3 parts:

Mobilisation
After this last two days of chemo, I start giving myself twice daily injections to help the stem cells grow. Stem cells are made by bone marrow and are the cells that eventually become white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets.

Clinical evidence has shown that stem cells peak in the blood in about 12 days which leads to the harvest.

Harvest
On 1st december, I will go to RNS to spend the day with edward cullen's friend (the vampire machine) that basically takes blood from one arm, pumps it thru the vampire machine to collect the stem cells, and then back in the other arm. Stem cells then get frozen and I go home.

Transplant
Some time in December I'll go back into RNS and get admitted for about 3 weeks. In the first 8 or so days, I get very high doses of chemotherapy then my bone marrow is 'rescued' from the adverse effects of the chemo by reinfusion of my own bone marrow stem cells.

Hopefully all goes well, and I go home soon after.

Just to add a bit of drama to the whole thing - there is a 3% mortality risk with stem cell transplant, and a higher risk that I could end up in ICU for a while.  I'm not worried about either. On enquiry, apparently 2010 has hit its mortality quota and hey ICU is unplesant - but survivable (just).

No comments: