Friday, November 19, 2010

Transplant update from RNS meeting

Mobilisation starts tomorrow - DIY needles twice a day of GCSF (Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor)!

Harvest on November 30th - fingers crossed that there are enough stem cells to harvest! We need to get enough to do the transplant, if not, there may be another drug to try (plerixafor) or they may be harvested from bone marrow - thankfully there is about 90% chance the GCSF needles will work.

The dates below may change somewhat as the allergic reaction I had to Etoposide has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works, as this particular drug is used in a number of the current first-line transplant chemo-cocktails.  Dr Stephenson will be fossicking thru the literature to find another alternative combo for my transplant because my circumstances are quite rare.  Thankfully, I have my trusty German team at hand, and I'm hoping I will have some suggestions from them to compare.  I am keen to be on the front foot with this, and all expertise will be leveraged!

Transplant admission will be 15th December
  • Pre-transplant is referred to as "day -6" begins with chemo for 6 days, loose my hair again!
  • Transplant is referred to as "day 0" when I receive the stem cells
  • Post-transplant is referred to as "day+1, +2 etc" I can expect to be in hospital +10 to 15 days, give or take depending how I scrub up after that ordeal!
In short, that will have me admitted 15th December and home around the 5th January!

Expect about 6 weeks to recover, then radiotherapy will begin - and I can expect up to 6 weeks of that!

Treatment completion approximately end March 2011.  (All going well, here's fingers crossed and much praying that I am in remission by this time.)

No comments: